Our Reopening Plan
Update on stage 2 and Toronto Public Library
With Toronto moving to Stage 2 in the Provincial reopening plan, TPL will be extending its library service to provide in-branch computer access at 17 branches. You will be able to make a computer reservation starting Monday, June 29. This service will expand to more branches over the next 4 weeks. We will continue to provide regular updates on what services are available at which locations. Please check back here for updates and more information.
We continue to provide library services in the following ways. You can:
- Return your library materials at 73 branch drop boxes.
- Place holds on new materials and schedule a time to pick them up at 70 branches.
- Experience free and high quality programming from home.
- Use a variety of our online services - from ebooks, eaudiobooks, movies and music, to online programs and learning tools.
- Sign up for an Instant Digital Card if you do not have a library card. This temporary card provides access to OverDrive, our largest collection of ebooks and audiobooks.
- Reserve a computer at one of our 17 branches.
We will begin to gradually reopen locations and offer new services in multiple phases. More branches will offer in-branch computer access over the next 4 weeks.
More information about library services
We are excited about this second phase in the reinstatement of our services, and look forward to welcoming you back into our spaces soon.
With the introduction of in-branch services, the health and safety of our staff and our customers continues to be our top priority.
The reinstatement of our services follows the reopening framework provided by the Province of Ontario, and the advice of the Toronto Chief Medical Officer of Health and other health experts, and follows best practices within library and retail industries. Toronto Public Health has reviewed and endorsed our plans.
Here are some of the measures we have put in place:
All staff have Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
Intensive cleaning of branches has been done in advance, including cleaning of upholstery and special disinfecting of high touch surfaces.
Regular cleaning and hand washing protocols are in place.
Pick-up locations have proper physical distancing protocols in place.
Computer workstations are two metres apart to ensure physical distancing measures. Workstations will be sanitized between bookings.
Returned materials are quarantined for 72 hours or more until they are safe to circulate to meet or exceed the requirements put in place by Toronto Public Health.
Plexi-glass will be in place in certain locations where physical distancing protocols cannot be maintained.
If you are interested in using our in-person services, here are additional steps to take:
- Take the COVID-19 self-assessment test. If you have symptoms or may have been exposed to COVID-19, please stay at home and do not visit the library.
- Wearing a mask or face covering is required in indoor public spaces beginning July 7, 2020, as per the City of Toronto's Mandatory Mask or Face Covering Bylaw. All customers and visitors entering the library are required to wear a mask or face covering while inside. Learn more about the library's policy on Mandatory Use of Mask or Face Covering within Toronto Public Library Branches.
- Keep a distance of 6 feet from others when picking up or returning items.
- Wash or sanitize your hands often, before and after touching materials.
- Have one person pick up your holds.
Last updated: Saturday, June 27, 2020 to note 69 branches and 72 branches are available for pick-up service and drop-off service, respectively; additional health & safety information; July 6 to note 70 branches and 73 branches are available for pick-up service and drop-off service, respectively; information about the City of Toronto's Mandatory Mask or Face Covering Bylaw; July 7 to include link to TPL's policy on Mandatory Use of Mask or Face Covering within Toronto Public Library Branches.