Toronto Public Library Launches Second Sun Life Musical Instrument Lending Library
The Sun Life Musical Instrument Lending Library Shares the Joy of Music.
Ever dream of playing the guitar? How about the xylophone, mandolin or doumbek? You can try them all for free with a valid library card!
Torontonians now have even more access to music as Toronto Public Library and Sun Life launch the city’s second musical instrument lending library at Downsview Branch on May 28.
The Sun Life Musical Instrument Lending Library is a collection of musical instruments such as guitars, ukuleles, bongos, violins and more that can be borrowed for free with a valid library card.
In 2016, Parkdale Branch became the city’s first Sun Life Musical Instrument Lending Library in a pilot project that was part of a national initiative by Sun Life.
We are launching a new Sun Life Musical Instrument Lending Library at Downsview Branch (2793 Keele Street) on May 28, 2019 from 10 am – 5 pm. There will be a variety of instruments on display, fun activities and live musical performances. All are welcome to this free, fun and musical Community Celebration!
Access to Music
Are you a seasoned musician looking for access to an instrument, or a music student who wants to experiment with a new sound? Are you a caregiver or teacher who wants to expose children to music appreciation at an early age, or a beginner looking to learn a new skill?
The Sun Life Musical Instrument Lending Library is the perfect program to ignite musical creativity at any stage or age with a wide variety of musical instruments available to anyone interested in learning and playing. All you need is a valid library card.
Borrowing an Instrument
- Instruments can only be borrowed at one of the Sun Life Musical Instrument Lending Library locations. You can call the branch to find out if the instrument you want is available.
- Make sure you have a valid Toronto Public Library card. If you need to renew your card or get a new card, bring the required identification. You can also renew your card online.
- You will be asked to sign a Musical Instrument Lending Agreement. For children under 18, a parent or guardian must sign the agreement.
- Instruments must be returned to the Sun Life Musical Instrument Lending Library location from which they were borrowed.
- Instruments will be inspected and sanitized once they are returned. No instrument is allowed to be borrowed until the inspection process is complete.
Rules and conditions
- You may borrow 1 instrument at a time.
- The loan period for an instrument is 3 weeks. You are allowed 2 renewals, which means you can keep the instrument for up to 9 weeks in total.
- If you are late returning an instrument, you will be charged an overdue fine.
- If you lose or damage an instrument or its accessories, you will be charged a replacement fee.
Instrument Care and Maintenance
Learn how to take care of the instruments you borrow. Sun Life has created a special series of short videos to assist individuals with the use, care and enjoyment of the instruments.
Instrument Donation Drive
We’re kicking off a city-wide Instrument Donation Drive to add to the collection of instruments donated by Sun Life. All new and gently-used instrument donations are welcomed from May 28 until June 22, 2019 (except wind instruments, brass instruments, pianos, drums, or instruments weighing more than 25lbs).
Visit tpl.ca/instrumentlending for more information.