Make Some Noise Seeks Emerging Musicians in the Albion Community
Make Some Noise is planning a concert at the Albion Branch on May 5th, 2018 and is seeking emerging musicians from the community. Make Some Noise is the Toronto Public Library’s performance series that highlights local musicians and promotes the Library’s Local Music Collection. Make Some Noise performances happen in library branches throughout the city in a free, all ages setting.
- Artists must be based in the Greater Toronto Area. Preference will be given to artists living in the Albion community.
- Preferred genres are: acoustic, alternative, country, electronic, experimental, folk, hip hop, pop, rock, R&B, singer-songwriter, soul.
- Music performed must not stereotype or promote views and ideas which are likely to promote discrimination, contempt or hatred for any person on the basis of race, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, color, citizenship, religion, age, sex, marital status, family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, political affiliation, receipt of public assistance or level of literacy.
- Library employees that from the Make Some Noise working group will select two or three artists from the submissions pool.
- Performance will be on a Saturday, May 5th, 2018. Artists are expected to play for 30-40 minutes. Performances typically start at 7pm.
- The Library will provide a PA, mics, stands, cables and a sound technician. The Library does not provide any instruments, amplifiers or drums.
- The artist will receive an honorarium of $400 for the performance regardless of the number of musicians.
- Performances are similar to in-store performances. They are intimate and may be a stripped down version of a typical live show. There is no stage and people often sit in chairs or on the floor to watch the performance.
- The Live in the Stacks performance is promoted online and in all 100 branches of the Toronto Public Library. Artists are also encouraged to promote their performance to their fans.
- Artists are welcome to sell merchandise after the show, but are responsible for selling their own merchandise. The Library does not take a percentage of sales.
All interested artists are asked to email Michael Warner (email@example.com) by 5pm on Friday, March 9th, 2018 with the following information:
- bio (max 200 words)
- links to the artists’ website and to a site where their music can be streamed
- links to reviews, if available
We thank all artists that apply. Only artists selected for a Make Some Noise performance will be contacted.