Valuable Historical Photographs, Scrapbooks and Family Papers Part of Donation from North York Historical Society
The North York Historical Society (NYHS) and the Toronto Public Library signed an agreement on February 6 to officially add the NYHS archives to the collections of the Canadiana Department on the sixth floor of North York Central Library. A special event was held to recognize this significant donation of historical materials about North York.
The Canadiana Department and the NYHS have a mutual interest to preserve and make historical and current information about North York accessible, and have a long history of working together. This donation increases Canadiana’s collections related to the history of North York, and library staff and NYHS members plan to work together to promote and enhance access to these materials in the future.
The Canadiana Department has had a collection on the history of North York since its earliest days in the 1960s. The collection is in-depth covering North York back to its earliest human habitation, and includes books, local newspapers, photographs, maps and clipping files on North York people, places and events. Also part of the collection are about 30 small archival collections, and many municipal and planning documents issued by North York prior to its amalgamation into Toronto. Among the gems acquired in the NYHS donation are:
- Aerial photographs of North York in 1942 and 1954
- Series of 39 scrapbooks about lot owners, communities, schools, and churches
- Papers of the Coulson family, which include documents going back to the 1830s
- More than 1,600 historical photographs
North York Central Library Manager Greg Kelner served as master of ceremonies and introduced remarks from:
- Bill Aird – President, North York Historical Society
- Linda Mackenzie – Director, Research and Reference Libraries, Toronto Public Library
- Rob Leverty – Executive Director, Ontario Historical Society
- Dorie Billich – Curator, Gibson House & Historic Zion Schoolhouse
- Councillor John Filion – Ward 23 Willowdale
“Having these resources available in the library will be a wonderful aid to anyone researching the history and development of North York,” said Linda Mackenzie, director of Research and Reference Libraries. “We value our partnership with the North York Historical Society and look forward to more years of fruitful collaboration.”
|Examples of historic North York photos from the donation
were on display.
|Event photos by Dona Acheson.|
|St. Andrews Golf Course, ca. 1935 [NYHS00349]||
|Colonel Cameron's House (later St. Andrews Golf Course) [NYHS00346]|
For more than 50 years, the North York Historical Society has successfully worked to preserve the history and heritage of North York, and maintains an active schedule of programming working with other community organizations. Notable achievements include the preservation, restoration and adaptive reuse of the Gibson House as a museum, and supporting the preservation of other historic buildings such as the David Duncan House, Dempsey Store, Elihu Pease House and Jolly Miller Tavern.
The Canadiana Department also houses collections from these societies:
- Ontario Genealogical Society
- Jewish Genealogical Society (Toronto Branch)
- Canadian Society of Mayflower Descendants
- York Pioneer and Historical Society