The TD Summer Reading Club 2020 Battle of the Books: Dog Man Comes Out on Top
It was an exciting summer for the TD Summer Reading Club online. In our first-ever Battle of the Books, kids voted weekly in the 8-book tournament to determine their favourite summer read.
Here's the full tournament bracket:
The Battle served as a great opportunity to showcase eight excellent titles. We enjoyed seeing publishers and authors get into the spirit of the competition, with some (not-so) friendly banter on social media:
@JohnCorr_Author: We don't throw towels in aikido. We throw people. And, when the occasion arises, font-obsessed mice.
@scholasticCDA: Font-obsessed!? Holey cheese!
@JohnCorr_Author: Not even the training in Geronimo Stilton #40, "The Karate Mouse," can save you now!
Some will say it was always going to come down to Geronimo versus Dog Man. When these popular titles squared off in the finals, support from kids came pouring in for their preferred book.
Fans of Geronimo shouted:
- "We have to win the final battle" - rody
- "This book needs to win!!!!!!!! like this comment if you think this book needs to win the book battle!" - starfire55
- "Geronimo Stilton is the best book series in the world! It deserves the win against Dog Man" - bookkeeper
Supporters of Dog Man retorted:
- "I have read this book more than 4 times. It never gets old." - Diamond2525
- "This is the best book I’ve ever read" - snotboy
- "It has very immature humour and I LOVE IT! Who said immature humour is bad?" - Thebusy_beaver
In the end, Dog Man reigned supreme in a tightly contested final match.
Thanks to all the kids, authors and publishers for making the inaugural Battle of the Books such a great success. Did TD Summer Reading Club participants make the right choice? Kids can check out all of the other titles from the tournament and decide for themselves!
Camp Average by Craig Battle
Eight Times Up by John Corr
Glitch by Sarah Graley
Jay Versus the Saxophone of Doom by Kara Kootstra and Kim Smith
Meet Tom Longboat by Elizabeth MacLeod and Mike Deas
Mr. Wolf's Class: Mystery Club by Aron Nels Steinke
The TD Summer Reading Club team thanks everyone for a great summer. We'll see you next year!