Online Activities for Kids in French
The longest March Break ever won’t stop kids from learning at home! Although mars has turned into mai, the library remains here to support you with lots of online reading material. Browse French ebooks in the Cantook Station collection, which offers titles from Quebec and Franco-Canadian publishers. Whether children are comfortable reading in French or working on increasing their vocabulary, a good book will keep them occupied and improve their language skills.
Just starting out with learning French? Try Mango Languages or kid-friendly videos available from Hoopla and Kanopy. Here are a few to get you started.
OverDrive also has a French ebook collection for kids, and parents and caregivers can access it with the Toronto Public Library’s new Instant Digital Card! This temporary card is available to people age 13 and up who do not already have a library card. A Toronto cell phone that can receive texts is required. Find out more about how to get your Instant Digital Card.
Aside from TPL’s online resources, there are many other websites which can support parents and educators whose kids are in French immersion, as well as French-speaking families.
Activities and Games
- EDUCatout.com – Educational activities for different grade levels. Includes crafts, songs and stories, printables and more!
- Jeux IDÉLLO – Play-based learning for kids in preschool to Grade 6.
- Math Storytime – Free app to explore simple math concepts through stories for kindergarten to Grade 2 students.
- Radio-Canada: Zone Jeunesse et Zone des Petits– Tons of fun videos and activities for all ages.
- Momes – Printables, games and also recipes for cooking adventures.
- Pepit – Language and math exercises for different grade levels.
- Les Jeux de Lulu – Simple games and puzzles for younger children to learn numbers and words while developing memory and logical thinking skills.
Podcasts and Storytelling
- Astérix et La Zizanie
- Les Aventures de Tintin
- Flammarion Jeunesse: Blanche-Neige et les Sept Nains
- Des histoires en musique – Fables, fairy tales and other enchanting bedtime stories.
- Livres Audio: Cendrillon
- Les Odyssées – Tales of famous historical figures and their adventures and accomplishments.
- Les P’tites Histoires
- Quelle Histoire – Listen to myths and legends from around the world.
- Vingt Mille Lieues Sous Les Mers
Songs and Rhymes
- Monsieur Philippe: Pour les petits – You might have seen singer and storyteller Monsieur Philippe perform at your local library. Check out his YouTube channel to sing along with him from home! For children under three.
- TFO: Chansons et comptines traditionnelles – More videos and games are available on Mini TFO, for preschoolers and kids up to 6 years old.
More resources for parents and educators
- HabiloMédias – A non-profit organization dedicated to media literacy and digital literacy, helping kids develop critical thinking skills.
- Les Fondamentaux – Educational films for teaching a variety of topics, including science and civics.
- Lasouris-web – Directory of educational sites providing free online exercises for preschool, elementary and even secondary school students, organized by subject and by grade.
- Naître et Grandir – Parenting magazine with tips and articles, discussing topics such as the benefits of play.