Coming Soon to Your Local Library: The 2019 TD Summer Reading Club
The TD Summer Reading Club will officially kick off on June 22, 2019 in Toronto. In 2018, over 346,000 kids participated in the Club in 2,200 public libraries across Canada. All of the branches of the Toronto Public Library participate in the Club.
The TD Summer Reading Club is designed with flexibility in mind. It is meant to inspire kids to explore the fun of reading their way. We provide a list of 75 recommended reads, but kids are free to read anything they want.
At registration, kids receive a notebook which contains a reading log and some fun activities to try out. After reading (or listening to) a book, kids can visit their local library to report on the book and collect stickers to place in their notebooks. There's also a fantastic TD Summer Reading Club website with tons of activities and ebooks to read.
Studies have shown that children lose much of their reading ability over the summer months if they do not continue to read while they are out of school. Summer reading clubs first started when library staff realized that they could make a difference. The responses from the 2018 surveys indicate that the TD Summer Reading Club was effective in many ways:
- 91% of kids said that they read more often or the same amount over the summer.
- 99% of kids will consider joining the Club again.
- 69% of parents/caregivers agree or strongly agree that their child is a more confident reader.
- 83% of parents/caregivers agree or strongly agree that their child maintained or improved their reading skills over the summer.
- 76% of parents/caregivers agree or strongly agree that their child used the library more often.
We’re working hard to ensure the 2019 TD Summer Reading Club is the best yet! Check in with your local library for more information, and remember to check us out online starting in mid-June. See you soon!