Free Training Videos for Professional Skills Development
Whether you're in school or mid-career, sometimes you're going to run into new situations where you don't know what to do. Now, we have a resource you can turn to for guidance. SAGE Video is a collection of educational videos for students and professionals in the following areas:
Being a leader presents issues that cut across all professions. For every leader, from small business owners to Fortune 500 CEOs, theatre directors to firefighters, SAGE Video offers advice and inspiration. Topics covered include:
- Leadership contexts: Video profiles of leaders illustrate issues in leadership in the science, education, health and arts sectors, among others.
- Leadership styles: Case studies and interviews explore different forms and styles of leadership, from the democratic (a worker's cooperative) to the autocratic (a fire station).
- Leadership in practice: Leaders from school principals to CEOs talk about how to create a positive work environment.
Are you a budding entrepreneur? Trying to grow a family business? Have you run into an ethical problem at work? Or maybe you need to learn more about the nuts and bolts of marketing, accounting or human resources. SAGE Video has hundreds of case studies, lectures and interviews for every interest and situation. Here are a few examples:
- Human Resource Management: Leadership coach Tyrone Pitsis talks about how he would handle a narcissistic CEO.
- Corporate Social Responsibility: Staff at tech startup Freeformers explain an innovative training system that serves people in need while building employee skills.
- Accounting: A video takes a deep dive into Apple's 2010 balance sheet to illustrate some key elements of accounting.
For new counsellors, therapists and coaches, and those who want to expand their skills, SAGE Video offers a wide range of training materials on subjects including:
- Listening and counselling skills: Videos of people emoting let you practice reading nonverbal cues.
- Multicultural counselling: Recorded counselling sessions help you to learn about navigating cultural differences with clients.
- Client groups: A series of tutorials introduces trauma-informed therapy practices.
Nursing demands complex skills, from the practical — dressing a wound — to the abstract — navigating a health care system's structures and protocols. SAGE videos offers hundreds of videos covering all of these considerations and more:
- Clinical nursing skills: Instructional videos demonstrate nursing skills such as assessing wounds, administering medication and taking vital signs.
- Ethics: Case studies and lectures explain how to avoid negligence and maintain patient confidentiality.
- Working with vulnerable populations: Interviews with nursing professionals introduce topics such as caring for the elderly, achieving equitable treatment for LGBTQ2s+ populations and forensic nursing.
All videos are free with your library card, and come with downloadable transcripts and citation tools.