Use Code TPL2020 to Get a Temporary Digital Library Card with OverDrive
This campaign has closed. Temporary OverDrive digital cards will expire in September, 2021.
Now, you can register online for a permanent Digital Access Card!
Torontonians who don't have a Toronto Public Library card can now access OverDrive, our largest collection of ebooks and audiobooks, with the new Instant Digital Card. This temporary card is available to people age 13 and older with a Toronto cell phone that can receive texts. New customers can enjoy this access until December 31, 2020.
What you'll need:
- Our campaign code: TPL2020
- A cell phone, with a Toronto area code (416, 647 or 437), that can receive text messages
- Either a computer with an internet connection, OR
- A smartphone or tablet with one of OverDrive's ereading apps:
How to register:
On a smartphone or tablet:
1. Download the Libby or OverDrive ereading app onto your smartphone or tablet.
- Libby app (easiest to use) - For iPhone or iPad | For Android
- OverDrive app (best for screen reader accessibility) - For iPhone or iPad | For Android
2. Open the app and follow the prompt to enter your cell phone number.
On a computer:
- Go to tpl.ca/overdrive and follow the prompt to enter your cell phone number.
After entering your cell phone number, on any device:
- You will receive a text message with a six-digit verification number. Enter the number.
- Complete your registration by entering your first and last names and the campaign code TPL2020.
- Start reading!
You can sign in again any time with your cell phone number as your login.
What you'll get:
- Access to our largest and most popular ebook platform, with thousands of ebooks and audiobooks
- Collections for adults, children and teens
- Small collections in French, Chinese, Russian, Spanish and Portuguese
- Nearly 3,000 streaming videos
- Borrow up to 30 items at a time, and place up to 30 holds
Because this account is provided by OverDrive, it will not give access to our other online resources, such as Kanopy or Hoopla. (Note: We are actively working on launching full online registration in the near future, which will provide access to all our digital resources.)
Getting a full-access library card:
OverDrive digital library cards will expire December 31, 2020. You will receive a text message from OverDrive prior to expiry, inviting you to sign up for a permanent TPL card. You will need to visit a library branch in person to get one (or use the new online registration process, once it is implemented).
How to get help:
Read our Frequently Asked Questions (PDF), fill out the online form at OverDrive Front Line Tech Support, or contact our Answerline service at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read the full news release about our Instant Digital Card for more information and use statistics of our online collections during our closure.
Edit: News Release added April 16, 2020
Edit: Expiry date extended August 24, 2020
Edit: Campaign ended; added expiry date for temporary cards, link to permanent Digital Access Card, November 12, 2020
Edit: Updated expiry from March to September, 2021