Getting Started with MIT Press Direct
MIT Press Direct offers a selection of MIT Press scholarly eBooks covering topics such as economics, philosophy, science, technology, and society.
MIT Press Direct eBooks titles have been added to the TPL catalogue and will be included in catalogue search results.
How to Access MIT Press Direct:
- Go to www.tpl.ca, the Toronto Public Library website.
- Type in "MIT Press Direct" into the search box.
- Click on "Access Online" under MIT Press Direct.
- Enter your library card number and PIN. Library cards must be in good standing (not expired or blocked).
- Click on "Continue".
- Toronto Public Library will appear on the upper right-hand corner of the MIT Press Direct homepage. Please ignore 'Register' and 'Sign In'. Personal accounts are not available on the MIT Press Direct platform.
Searching MIT Press Direct:
When searching MIT Press Direct, ensure "All Books" is selected. The library's subscription provides access to MIT Press eBooks, not journals.
MIT Press does offer several open access journal titles. Further information is available on the Diamond Open Access Journals section on the MIT Press Direct website.
- Search by entering the subject, title, and/or author keyword in the search box.
- The default relevancy is by the newest date but this can be changed by using the “Sort by” dropdown selection.
- Results can be filtered by format, subject, book series, date and availability on the left-side bar.
- Advanced Search allows for exact phrase searching, limits to author, and date range.
Opening, Reading and Saving MIT Press Direct eBooks:
Each chapter/section of MIT Press Direct eBooks is available as a PDF file.
- To open, click on the title or cover image of any Book or Book Chapter from the search results.
- The Table of Contents is displayed for the eBook with the PDF available below the name of each chapter/section.
- Click on the PDF icon to open the chapter in a PDF reader which then can be read, downloaded or printed as a PDF file.
Each book has citation formatting under the “Tools” drop-down menu. This can be found above the Table of Contents.
- Click on "Tools"
- Click on “Cite” to copy or download the citation file
Rights and Permissions for Printing or Accessible Formats
Users can submit requests for copyright, licensing, permissions and obtaining an accessible format.
- Click on "Tools".
- Click on “Permissions” for the permission to reprint form, contact information for classroom use and/or obtaining an accessible format for specific titles.
For more information or for help, please contact our Answerline Service.