Getting Started with NoveList Plus
NoveList Plus is a comprehensive reader’s advisory resource for fiction and nonfiction. It can help you find books similar to the ones you like and help you decide what to read next.
How to Access NoveList Plus
- Go to tpl.ca and enter "novelist" in the search box
- Select Access Online under NoveList Plus: Your Guide to Reading
- Enter your library card number and PIN and Continue
From the NoveList home page, you can browse by:
- Appeal factors or mix and customize your own combination of appeal factors i.e. I'm in the mood for books that are ... character-drive and complex or bleak and compelling or romantic and funny, angst-filled and upbeat, witty and sardonic, etc..
- Genres for the various audiences and ages (Adults, Teens, Ages 9-1, Ages 0-8) e.g. crime & suspense, historical, horror and gothic fiction, realistic, fantasy & science fiction, etc.
- Keep up Pages that list the best NoveList resources about a genre and includes curated book lists, as well as articles and archived webinars about that genre
- Featured Award Winners and the various popular awards for Adults, Teens, and Children
- Recommended read lists for Fiction or Nonfiction for Adult, Teen, Ages 9-12 or Ages 0-8
The search box appears on each page. Enter your search term(s) in the box. You can choose from the drop down menu and select Keyword, Title, Author, Series, or Narrator (for Audiobooks).
To find books in a series, select Series from the drown down menu beside the search box and type the title e.g. Catching Fire. The result will list the books in the series in the order in which they were written.
The search results include the title, author, description, genre, character, tone, writing style, and reading level. They also include a link to check if the Toronto Public Library catalog has a copy available for borrowing.
The menu bar above the search box has additional features:
- Browse By has a link to Audiobooks that included featured, recommended and new and forthcoming audiobooks
- Especially For has a section on Readers Advisory Toolbox and Working with Youth
- Quick Links has sections on Author Read-alikes; Book Club Resources; Book Display Ideas; Books to Movies, Curricular Connections; Genre Outlines; Grab and Go Book Lists; and Feature Articles that introduces a subgenre or topic.
- How Do I? provides information on how to find read-alikes, search for books by appeal terms, genre and/or theme
For more information or for help, please contact our Answerline service.