Getting Started with HSTalks - The Biomedical & Life Sciences Collection (TBLSC)
Click TBLSC for The Biomedical & Life Sciences Collection
Click TBMC for The Business and Management Collection
The Biomedical and Life Sciences Collection
The Biomedical & Life Sciences Collection (TBLSC) of HSTalks contains over 2,500 specially commissioned, multi-media, online lectures by more than 2,000 contributing editors and speakers who are leading world experts from universities, research centres, medical schools, and pharmaceutical/biotech companies. The complete series of lectures covers both the fundamentals and the latest thinking and developments, complete course modules with full supporting material, multiple choice questions and suggested exam questions. New material is added every month and all content is regularly reviewed, updated and archived.
How to access The Biomedical & Life Sciences Collection (TBLSC)
- Go to tpl.ca and enter "hstalks" in the search window.
- Click Access Online under HSTalks.
- Enter your library card number and PIN and click Sign In and Continue.
- Click the drop down icon on the upper right and click GO under The Biomedical & Life Sciences Collection.
- Choose one of the following to begin a search:
- Search and enter search terms.
- Click Subjects to select Categories or Therapeutic Areas to browse or use the search function options.
- For Lectures, Series, and Experts, choose options at the top of each module or scroll down the page and select from what is presented.
- Search for talks.
Click HSTalks icon to return to the home screen.
Search results will indicate the number of Talks, Series, or Experts that you can click on to refine the results.
Depending on the search, use Filters to narrow the results by:
- Education Level (Introductory; Intermediate/Advanced)
- Therapeutic Area
- Accrediation (CME is Continued Medical Education; CPC is Continuing Professional Development
- Date Published
- Talk Duration
- Subtitle if any
To play a talk, click (1) Play or the (2) Title or the (3) thumbnail image of the talk.
More Details option has the following features:
- Topics Covered
- Slide Index
- Speaker's Bio
- MeSH (Medical Subject Headings)
Available options and functions when viewing a talk:
- Open a PDF of the slides in a format suitable for printing and making notes
- Jump to a selected slide
- View the topics covered in this talk
- View internal and external links
- View the talk's citation (APA format)
- Control the playback speed of the video
- Add subtitles (when available)
- Embed the talk in a virtual learning system (e.g. Moodle, or Blackboard), a PowerPoint presentation, a Word document, or an email. Once you choose an embed, you have the following options: embed as a link / thumbnail; embed talk as a video.
For more information, call Answerline at 416-393-7131.