Getting Started with Naxos Music Library Jazz
Naxos Music Library Jazz is an online, streaming music library with over 17,000 albums in the following categories:
- contemporary jazz from Scandinavia, the United States, Germany, Australia and New Zealand
- pop and rock
- jazz legends (e.g. Louis Armstrong, Django Reinhardt, Stan Kenton, Bessie Smith, Teddy Wilson)
- contemporary instrumental ambient, soft jazz, Celtic and world music, combining both contemporary and traditional styles, mainly from New Zealand and Australia
- blues legends
- world authentic and crossover music from Timbila to Jiangnan, Russian folk songs to Icelandic ballads
- nostalgia (e.g. Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Maurice Chevalier, Marlene Dietrich)
- Search by keyword(s) from album or track title, artist, composer, etc. in the search box on the top right of the home page.
- Use Advanced Search to:
- restrict search terms to fields (composer, artist, group, instrument, label, country) and combine these fields in a search; or
- search by instrument or by the country a composer was born, lived or worked in most of his or her life
Browse by label, artist, composer, genre or recent additions to Naxos Music Library Jazz.
- Labels. There are over 250 and include the catalogue of Warner Jazz, EMI, Fantasy and others.
- Genres are the categories listed at the beginning of this guide.
- Recent additions are listed at the top of the home page. Click on “More Recent Additions” for albums added during the latest four addition periods (each 7-9 days long).
Listen to an album by 1. clicking on the artist/title line in the search results, 2. then on “Select All” (on the album page) and 3. then on “Play Selections.”
To listen to one or more tracks, 1. tick the box(es) next to the track(s), 2. then click on “Play Selections.”
To create a playlist:
- click on the "Playlists" tab, sign up (name, email, password) and log in
- search or browse for albums
- on the album page, select one or more tracks and click on “Add to Playlist”
- in the window that pops up, create the playlist you want the track(s) to be on (or give the location of a playlist you’ve already created)
- click on the “Add to Playlist” button at the bottom of this window
Download the free iOS or Android app. Sign in using the email and password you used in your Playlists account.
NOTE: An internet connection is required to stream the content. Using cellular data is not recommended as streaming multimedia content can consume a lot of bandwidth. Wi-Fi is available at all Toronto Public Library branches.
For more information or for help, please contact our Answerline service.