Getting Started with Mergent Intellect
Mergent Intellect is information on private and public U.S., Canadian and international companies organized, in company reports, under the following headings:
- Company Details
- Description, history, product and operations, brief, competitors, SEC filings, annual reports
- Financial Details
- Historical, income statement, balance sheet, cash flow, ratio, price chart, historical pricing
- Industry Details
- NAICS and SIC codes
- Executive Details
- Contact information, tenure, age, CV, compensation (of officers and directors)
- Family Tree
U.S. demographics by county, city and zip code—Nielsen Demographics Reports, including PRIZM Household Distribution.
How to Access Mergent Intellect
- Go to tpl.ca and enter “mergent intellect” in the search box
- Click on Access Online under Mergent Intellect
- Enter your library card number and PIN
How to Find Company Information
To find company information, enter the company name, or part of it, in the search box. Up to 10 company names matching your entry will appear below. Either click on one of these names for the company report; or click on (removing the checkmark at the top left to include companies outside the U.S.) for a list of all matches and get a report by clicking on a company.
Companies are listed in the results by sales. Inactive companies are in red.
To filter results, click on “Employees Type” (no. of employees), “Ownership Type” (public or private), “Location” (branch, headquarters, single location) or Country. Sort them alphabetically by “Location” (geographical) or “Location Type” (branch, etc.) or numerically by “Sales” or “SIC.” To clear filters and sorts, click on the “Clear Filters” symbol.
Printing, Saving & E-mailing
To print, download and save or email a single report, click on the name of the company to get to the report and use the symbols in the upper right corner.
To download and save or email a number of reports, there are 3 options:
- Select companies from the search results by clicking on the boxes to the left of company names; then click on the “Build Files” symbol to select the categories of information you want; then go to the bottom of the screen, name the file and click on the "Build Files" button.
- Select a range of companies from the results by clicking on “Range” before clicking on the “Build Files” symbol.
- Select all the companies in the results by clicking on “All.”
How to Find Companies by Industry
To find companies by industry, click on “Industry” under the search box on the home page and start entering a SIC or NAICS code or a keyword, e.g. “automotive.” A list of matching SIC codes and industries will appear below the box. If the list is longer than 10, click on “View all results” at the bottom. Select a result, then click on “View Results” in the lower right corner.
How to Find U.S. Demographics
To find U.S. demographics, click on “Demographics” on the home page.
**Please note: Creation of a Profile to change the results view, to save a list of companies or save the field settings is optional with an email address, username and password.
For more information or for help, call Answerline at 416-393-7131.