Getting Started with Chilton's Auto Repair
Chilton's Auto Repair is an online database of information about car and truck maintenance and repair. It provides vehicle-specific information in the following four categories, though not all categories are available for all vehicles:
- labour estimating
Chilton's Auto Repair includes ASE (Automotive Service Excellence) Technician Test preparation Quizzes for a selection f the tests.
How to access Chilton's
- Start from the Chilton's Auto Repair page on the Toronto Public Library website.
- Click the Access Online button.
- Sign in with your library card number and PIN/password.
How to search for your vehicle
Use the Vehicle Selector menu to choose the year, make, and model of your car or truck.
Next, choose the type of information you want from the menu.
Types of information available
This section contains repair manuals for different vehicle parts and systems. By drilling down through the menus (e.g., Brakes > Hydraulic System > Cleaning, Inspection, and Adjustment), you can find detailed instructions and diagrams for specific parts of the vehicle.
Click on “Maintenance” to get maintenance schedules in either of two ways.
- Use the Vehicle Configuration Filter to specify the vehicle.
- Click on “full chart list.” Select a configuration by clicking on View Chart. Then select an operating condition (at the bottom) to get to the chart.
Enter mileage in the search box above the maintenance chart or click on “Look ahead” to advance to the next maintenance period. This feature isn’t available for all vehicles.
Click on "Labour Estimating" to get manufacturer ("OEM/Dealer") and Chilton time estimates for operations in either of two ways:
- Enter an operation in the search window.
- Click on "View Operations" to select from a menu.
Click on "Bulletins/Recalls" for the first part of an unfiltered list of them, e.g. the number of matching items displayed. Filter this list in either of two ways:
Select from the "Advanced Filter" menu a filter on one of the drop-down menus of filters - ALL Systems or ALL Trouble Codes.
Use the "Quick Search" menu to filter by bulleting number, keyword or recalls (i.e. click on "Only show recalls").
For more information or for help, call Answerline at 416-393-7131.