When you dip into Young Voices 2016, you’ll see the world from widely varied perspectives; it’s a world that’s sometimes funny, sometimes painful, sometimes strange and sometimes beautiful.
- Lisa Heggum, Manager, Youth Services, Toronto Public Library
Young Voices 2016 is available to read online and copies are now available in all Toronto Public Library branches!
Send us your writing, artwork, comics and photographs for publication in Young Voices 2017!
Why Young Voices is Amazing
- Toronto Public Library has been publishing Young Voices Magazine for over fifty years! It's published once a year in October.
- All submissions are reviewed by an editorial team of teen writers and artists working with professional writers and artists.
- Every year we get over 500 submissions and can only publish 80 pieces!
Submission Deadline: Tuesday April 4, 2017
- The editors will look at submissions in the spring of 2017.
- If your work is selected for publication, we’ll contact you.
- We accept submissions all year round.
- Work submitted after the 2017 deadline will be considered for the 2018 issue of Young Voices Magazine.
- Create what you want to create! It’s your work and your choice—a story, comic, photo, drawing, poem, rant.
- Submit only your own original work.
- Written submissions will be selected from each of the following age categories: 12-14,15-16,17-19.
- Artwork, photos and comics will not be categorized by age for the purposes of choosing what to publish.
- Related work (artwork submitted in conjunction with writing) may not be considered together.
Who Can Submit?
Teens aged 12-19, who live, work or go to school in the City of Toronto.
What Can Be Submitted?
You can submit two pieces each year:
- One piece of writing per person
- One visual piece per person - a piece of artwork, a comic OR a photograph
Artwork: 8 1/2 inches by 11 inches preferred. Black and white artwork only. You will be required to submit your original artwork if your work is selected for publication.
Digital Art: High resolution. Minimum 300 dpi if your picture is 20x25 cm (8x10 inches or 2400x3000 pixels.) Black and white artwork only. (Submit only original images that you create. Read more about copyright details.)
Photographs: High resolution for electronic submissions. Minimum 300 dpi if your picture is 20x25 cm (8x10 inches or 2400x3000 pixels.) Black and white photographs only.
Written Work: 1,000 word maximum. Typed entries preferred, but not required.
Comics: One 8 1/2 inch by 11 inch page maximum.