Fairview Branch and Theatre to Close for Major Renovation
TORONTO (Wednesday, September 26, 2012) – At 5:00 p.m. on Saturday, October 6, 2012, Toronto Public Library will temporarily close Fairview Branch and Theatre (35 Fairview Mall Drive) for a major renovation. Library customers can look forward to a new, improved and more accessible library when the branch reopens in 2013.
Designed by Makrimichalos Cugini Architects, renovation features include:
- Expanded entrance area to allow for separate entrances to the library and the theatre to improve access, way-finding and manage congestion and noise levels.
- State of good repair improvements to the library and theatre, to support operations and enhance customer service.
- Improved building accessibility in relevant areas including expanded washroom facilities in the library and the theatre.
- Improved landscaping to enhance the pedestrian experience along Fairview Mall Drive and allow clear visibility to the activity inside the building.
- Improved security and management of access to the building.
- Theatre renovations which include an addition of a new enclosed theatre box office and refreshment stand, improvements to aisle and ramp lighting and accessible seating, better access to the theatre green room, dressing rooms and backstage facilities.
- A welcoming entrance to the branch that facilitates way-finding and access.
- A new reading area including popular collections, displays, lounge and study seating, computer access and meeting rooms.
- A reorganization of floor space to allow for efficient operations, including automating materials check-in and streamlining the sorting of library materials.
During the closure, library customers can return books to any Toronto Public Library branch and pick up holds at Agincourt Branch or any branch they choose. The public can also visit one of the following nearby branches: Bayview (with extended Sunday hours), Pleasant View and Hillcrest, both with extended weekday hours. Library customers are also invited to visit the Toronto Public Library Bookmobile in the north parking lot of Fairview Mall on Wednesday mornings from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. beginning Wednesday October 10, 2012.
A complete list of alternate library services during the Fairview Branch and Theatre renovation closure including Leading to Reading, Youth Programs, Adult Literacy Services and the temporary locations of the resident theatre groups is available on the library website by visiting: www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/renovations/fairview-branch-renovation.jsp
Toronto Public Library is the world's busiest urban public library system. Every year, more than 19 million people visit our branches in neighbourhoods across the city and borrow over 33 million items. To get the most current updates on what's happening at the Toronto Public Library, visit our website at torontopubliclibrary.ca or call Answerline at 416-393-7131. To get the most current updates on what’s happening at the library, follow us on Twitter @torontolibrary.
Edward Karek, Communications Officer, 416-397-5925