Library Workers On Legal Strike
Library branches closed during labour disruption: Most website services available
TORONTO (Sunday, March 18, 2012) – A settlement has not been reached between the Toronto Public Library Board and the Toronto Public Library Workers’ Union Local 4948. As of 5:01 pm today, library staff began a legal strike.
During the labour disruption:
• All library branches and facilities are closed, and bookmobile and home library services are suspended.
• No fines will be charged during the labour disruption on overdue library materials.
• All book drops are closed. Borrowers are asked to hold onto their library materials until the labour disruption is over.
• All scheduled meetings and events are cancelled during the labour disruption. Room rental charges will be refunded, as appropriate.
• Most website services are available during the labour disruption. Please check the website for further updates www.torontopubliclibrary.ca
“We remain committed to working with Toronto Public Library Workers’ Union Local 4948 to reach a settlement that is fair and reasonable to our staff and affordable to the residents of Toronto so that we can resume public library service in Toronto as soon as possible,” said Councillor Paul Ainslie, Toronto Public Library Board Chair.
- 30 -
Anne Marie Aikins