TEEN PARENT NEWCOMER CONFERENCE
Are you a parent of teens or pre-teens? Sanderson Branch of Toronto Public Library is hosting a Parent Conference on Saturday, October 4 from 1:30-3:30 p.m. at Scadding Court Community Centre (707 Dundas Street West).
Parents will learn about the popular After School Newcomer HUB at Sanderson Branch (see more information about the HUB below). In addition, parents will meet community organizations to get information about school, health, employment and volunteer opportunities for their teens.
Refreshments will be provided. Register by calling 416-393-7653 or visit Sanderson branch.
AFTER SCHOOL NEWCOMER HUBS
There are two locations for the library's After School Newcomer Hubs: Sanderson Branch (327 Bathurst St, Bathurst/ Dundas, 416-393-7764) and Centennial Branch (578 Finch Ave W, Bathurst/Finch, 416-395-5792). The Hubs are open Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays after school hours.
If you have questions or would like to join, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call the co-ordinators at the above phone numbers at Sanderson and Centennial branches.
Teens who are in grades 7 to 10 are welcome to join the drop-in After School Newcomer HUBS and:
- get homework help.
- use a laptop for research/projects.
- participate in crafts, workshops, and other fun activities.
- play video and board games.
- hang out with friends or make new ones.
Share your expertise in a meaningful way: Volunteers are needed to tutor students in grades 7–10 at the After School Newcomer Hubs located in the Centennial and Sanderson branches. Find out more about becoming a volunteer with the After School Newcomer Hubs - Call for Volunteers:
- Provide assistance in school subjects, particularly math, science, English and French.
- Provide positive encouragement and informal mentoring for students.
- Work with library staff and other volunteers to run the program.
- Gain knowledge of tutoring techniques.
- Letter of reference upon successful completion of the program.
Learn more: www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/support-us/volunteering/newcomer-hub/
QUOTE OF THE DAY:
“There is nothing like hearing a good grade or a problem solved from a student, especially when I know I have helped to promote the result. When I reflect on the growth of these students, I see tremendous improvements, not just through learning, but through self-esteem and confidence.“ - Volunteer Tutor.