"English Can Be Fun!" is back - free summer ESL program for newcomer children
"ENGLISH CAN BE FUN" PROGRAM - THE FACTS:
- A free program in July 2012 (July 3-31). Class size is limited and registration is required.
- For newcomer children aged 7 to 10 who are newcomers to Canada.
- Taught by professional, qualified ESL teachers.
- Get help with reading and writing and learn to use the library.
- Classes are three times a week in July at eleven library branches and one additional location all listed below.
- Download English-can-be-fun-application (PDF) - this is the application for the program that you can complete and submit in person in one of the following libraries. Please register at only one library location.
- For more information - call Answerline at 416-393-7131. If you have additional questions, please contact the "English Can Be Fun" coordinator at 416-395-5953.
OTHER LIBRARY RESOURCES AND ESL FOR CHILDREN (English as a Second Language):
The library is a great place for children to learn. Your local branch has books, CDs and DVDs to take home that can help children learn English. Ask staff to help you find what you need. There are also free computers just for children, movies, games and much more.
- Hear-a-Story online - children can practice listening in English, as well as in French, Italian, Korean, Mandarin, Polish, Russian and Urdu.
- Read-along Tumblebooks - a fantastic "TumbleBook Library" online collection of animated and talking picture books that can help children learn English - they can see the pages of the book and hear the story.
- Dial-a-Story - children can listen to stories over the phone by dialling 416-395-5400, 24 hours. There are stories recorded in English as well is in thirteen other languages - French, Cantonese, Gujarati, Italian, Korean, Mandarin, Spanish, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Somali, Tamil, and Urdu. Told by native speakers.
- Leading to Reading program for children who are reading below their grade level in English or need help with their homework. It is open to children in Grades 2 to 6 who can communicate in English.
- My Canada - online lessons and practice tests on Canadian history, geography, government and culture. Sign in with your Toronto public library card to use from home.