One Hundred Years of Medical Progress in North York : Learn About Connaught Laboratories - November 13
Join us for an evening tracing the one hundred years of history of Sanofi Pasteur Laboratories, better known as Connaught Laboratories. Began on May 1, 1914 as the Antitoxin Laboratory of the University of Toronto, it expanded in 1916 to include the large property on Steeles Avenue West near Dufferin Street and became known as "Connaught Antitoxin Laboratories and University Farm."
North York Central Library, Concourse Level
Thursday November 13,
Refreshments at 6:00 pm
Presentations at 6:30 pm
The evening will feature three talks moderated by Professor Michael Bliss:
|Christopher Rutty||James FitzGerald||Joanna Dean|
- The History of Connaught Labs at the Steeles and Dufferin Site with Professor Christopher J. Rutty, Founder and president of Health Heritage Research Services. His presentation will focus on the growth of the Steeles Avenue site and highlight the story of vaccine development, innovation and production.
- Doctor Gerry FitzGerald : Founder of the Connaught Labs with with James FitzGerald, grandson of Doctor Gerry FitzGerald, who will discuss his book What Disturbs Our Blood : a Son's Quest to Redeem the Past
- War Horses : Connaught Labs, Tetanus, Antitoxin and World War I with Professor Joanna Dean, Department of History, Carleton University. Her discussion will examine the production of the tetanus antitoxin during World War I which was used by the second British Army Corps.
Co-sponsored by the North York Historical Society, North York Community Preservation Panel and the North York Central Library Canadiana Department. Free admission, all are welcome! Registration is not required. For more information contact the North York Central Library Canadiana Department at 416-395-5623.
Toronto Public Library is offering many programs to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the start of the First World War. The library also owns some items about Connaught Laboratories. Here are a few examples:
What Disturbs Our Blood : a son's quest
to redeem the past
by James FitzGerald
- Ontario Genealogical Society
- Jewish Genealogical Society (Toronto Branch)
- Canadian Society of Mayflower Descendants
- York Pioneer and Historical Society
- North York Historical Society