Toronto Public Library (TPL) has just launched “Find Your Way to Local History and Genealogy” on the home page of the Library’s website or at tpl.ca/history-genealogy.
Our goal is to provide users with a quick and easy experience to research local history and genealogy, raise awareness of our online and in-library resources, and offer research assistance.
The new site connects web visitors to a wide range of digital content and library resources, including:
- alerts about new and recently received local history and genealogy books
- research help with online research guides and links to contact library staff for assistance
- a Local History and Genealogy blog written by specialist librarians highlighting Library resources and programs
- announcements of Library programs and classes on history and genealogy
- links to pertinent online databases such as Toronto Star - Pages of the Past, Ancestry Library Edition and our own Digital Archive
The Toronto section features:
- a customized map to discover resources about more than 100 Toronto neighbourhoods: links to catalogue records for books and other resources, to digitized pictures, maps and other items on the Digital Archive, as well as to recommended websites
- additional pages on Toronto city directories, buildings and architecture and geography and maps
Broadview Avenue and Gerrard Street, Toronto. Valentine & Sons Publishing Co.
This section also features Toronto and Ontario cities and towns, and has additional pages for genealogical research on Canada and other provinces, other countries and on ethnicity and cultures.
Detail from Toronto City Directory 1899. Might Directories, 1898.
City directories are a favourite tool for genealogists and local historians. Find Your Way links to digitized Toronto city directories from 1833 to 1922, as well as to directories for other Ontario places.
A growing selection of research guides on specific genealogical topics leads family history researchers to relevant resources, both online and in Toronto Reference Library and North York Central Library. Research guide topics include:
- Genealogy on the Web
- French Canadian and Acadian Genealogy
- British and Irish Genealogy
- Birth, Marriage and Death Records
- Ontario Genealogy
- Jewish Genealogy
The Find Your Way Team includes subject experts from across the Library system. Future plans for the site include adding more research guides, blog posts, recommended websites and links to more digitized Canadian content via the Digital Archive.