No Puppet? No Puppet?
THERE'S THE PUPPET!
Your child is excited that he finally found his missing puppet. He spent yesterday at the store looking for a puppet and came across this big beautiful puppet. He told you it was made of the most amazing fabrics, better than any fabric you’ve ever heard of. Many people raved about the puppet as it’s not like any of the others, this one speaks like one of them (which is no surprise as they took turns voicing the puppet). Interested in encouraging your child, you decide to learn more about puppets.
Oxford Dictionary defines a puppet as “A movable model of a person or animal that is typically moved either by strings controlled from above or by a hand inside it.” Puppets can be used in a variety of stories from classic fairy tales to modern-day spectacles.
Puppets can be simple or elaborate characters. They can be honest or deceptive. Ultimately, it is up to the puppeteer to bring the puppet to life and, perhaps, give it a huge personality. Terrific puppeteers can bring tremendous energy to the puppet by giving it the appearance of a strong persona to show its many sides. The best and brightest puppeteers use their voice to project dialogue. A winning combination will all but guarantee a 100% out-of-control puppet show.
TYPES OF PUPPETS!
Hand or Glove Puppets
- These puppets fit over the puppeteers’ hand. The head, arms, and mouth can be easily manipulated.
- These puppets are manipulated using two smaller rods below.
Marionettes or String Puppets
- These puppets are controlled by strings from above with strings linking to various parts of the puppet.
- These puppets are two dimensional cut-outs, similar to shadow figures, but are not manipulated behind a screen.
- These are puppets that are viewed through a screen. Light shines on the figure and creates a shadow on the screen.
If your child wants to see a puppet show in action, consider attending a puppet show. We offer a wide variety of puppet shows for kids.
We also offer some great children’s books about designing and making puppets.