Are you wondering which companies are hiring? Companies tend to go through different phases of growth and development and sometimes there may be times when they are looking to expand and they may have large spikes in hiring. How do you find this information out? There are a few ways to do it, especially using some online tools.
- For the past 14 years the Globe & Mail magazine has been putting together a list of Canada's top 100 employers. These employers are usually leaders in their industry, innovative and treat their employees very well so they tend to have and retain quality employees. The winners are chosen by criteria such as; physical workplace, health financial and family benefits, and training & skills development. This year some of the winners were:
- 3M Canada Company
- BMO Financial Group
- Diavik Diamond Mines Ltd.
- Molson Coors Canada Ltd.
- Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
- TELUS Corporation
Eluta.ca the search engine for new jobs in Canada, is an online career directory which was launched by MediaCorp Canada Inc. in 2006. You can use the website in various ways. The most simple way is by keywords that you choose based on whichever type of job or location you require. There is also a drop down menu the top left hand corner which says "Search Top Employers". Within that drop down menu there are various company lists including the one I mentioned above (Globe & Mail's Top 100 employers) here are some of the other lists:
- The Career Directory for New Grads: This Search Tool (provided by The Career Directory: Canada's Best Employers for Recent Graduates) allows you to find entry level positions based on what the degree you earned as well as your field of study. You can see available jobs for companies across Canada who are hiring people with your educational background.You can also click on the New Grad link for each job to learn more about which grads are hired and the types of positions, including summer and co-op work term possibilities. Some of these companies include: BMW Canada, Ceridian Canada Ltd. and Corus Entertainment Inc.
- Canada's Best Diversity Employers: This search tools allows you to find positions with employers who have won the seven year competition. These companies have exceptional workplace diversity initiatives for individuals in the following categories; Aboriginal, women, visible minorities, Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgendered (LGBT) people and individuals with disabilities. Some of these companies include: BMO, Health Canada and YMCA of Greater Toronto.
- Top Employers for Canadians Over 40: The companies in this list are known for offering programs of interest to people over 40, having a good pension plan, they assist their employees with retirement and succession planning, they extend health coverage to employees even after retirement. Some of these companies include: University of Toronto, CIBC, Enbridge Inc.