Seasonal stress and what to do about it...
"It's the most wonderful time of the year..." but holidays can also be a major source of stress. Whether it's decorating the house, stuffing the holiday turkey, shopping for presents or hosting family and friends, these otherwise joyful activities place undue demands on us which in turn result in stress.
But don't despair...with a little foresight, you can minimize the stress that accompanies the holidays. Mayo Clinic's tips on preventing holiday stress include:
- be aware of common holiday stress triggers so you can disarm them before they spoil the holidays
- when stressed, validate your feelings and reach out; it's ok to ask for help!
- be realistic -- holidays don't have to be perfect
- plan ahead, learn to say no and stick to a budget
- don't abandon healthy habits and make some time for yourself
While on the topic of holidays, check out our earlier blog on safety tips for the holidays.