Hiring the best people for your small business
If your small business has suddenly become too much for you to handle on your own, maybe it's time to hire some talented and quality employees that will help you continue to grow your business. Doing a bit of research before hiring your new employees will prevent a lot of stress and frustration down the road. Harvard Business Essentials guide Hiring and Keeping the Best People presents a series of logical steps that will get you started on the hiring and maintaining a loyal and productive workforce:
1. Clearly define the job requirements that will attract the best people.
2. If necessary, use online recruiting or professional recruiters.
3. You may need to compete to attract the best employees and then use incentives to keep them working for you.
4. Develop your talented staff by creating strategies for training and development
5. Create an equitable and understanding workplace by providing a work-life balance to prevent employee burnout.
6. Despite all your efforts you will still lose some of your best employees. Maintain a productive relationship with your former employees especially if they've moved on in the same field. They can lead you to new business, send you new employees or even provide you with market intelligence.
To hire and retain a terrific workforce take a look at these books: