Finding Company Histories
Some companies are so successful that they are able to celebrate a long and prosperous history.
For example, Tiffany & Co. is one of those companies. The jeweller is celebrating its 175th anniversary this year. Charles Lewis Tiffany, the company's founder, founded the store in 1837.
Many companies with such an illustrious past sometimes have a web page dedicated to its history at their web site. If such a web page does not exist for a company that you are interested in, here is a list of Toronto Public Library's electronic resources that may be able to help you find a company history:
- If you do a Company Search, select the desired company from the Results List.
- In the selected company's profile, click on the Histories tab.
- Two sources may be available for your selected company; i.e. Notable Corporate Chronologies and/or International DIrectory of Company Histories.
- Historical reports are available for the top currently and formerly traded Canadian companies.
- These reports include detailed descriptions on operations, 7-year consolidated financial statements, capital stock changes, and company history dating back to incorporation.
- Company profiles include a History tab.
For those interested in a history of Tiffany & Co., search the Toronto Public Library catalogue with the subject heading Tiffany and Company - History.