Is there anything more frustrating than waiting in a line when you’re pressed for time? Perhaps there is, but if you forgot what it might feel like let me remind you. Out with a few friends over the weekend, I had a build up of self-directed thoughts as we awaited the hostess to seat us for our dinner reservation. Here they are:
Keep talking - fool your mind into thinking that you’re not waiting;
Ignore the cold - it’s all about mind over matter;
Stay focused – quit looking around at all the steamy dishes being served;
Play it off – irritability is a natural emotion;
Keep quiet – complaining will ruin it for everyone;
Stop fidgeting – you’re starting to look crazy!
It sounds impatient, doesn't it? Let’s face it; our time is as valuable as our money and nobody likes losing it. The Barbara Frum Library is taking measures to save you some time. In a few weeks, a quick, easy and private self checkout option will be available for everyone. In a previous article, I mentioned the RFID installation at Centennial Library, a similar setup will allow you to engage with the technology, so you can be out at your own pace. I've worked at branches with an operational self-checkout system in place and it really is that quick and easy.
Important Information to Follow
If you’ve dropped by the Barbara Frum Library lately, you likely noticed signs indicating our branch renovation closure beginning Monday October 31, 2011. Here are a couple of important items that should help guide your actions during our closure:
- Our last day of service will be Sunday October 30, 2011 from 1:30-5 pm. We are officially closed Monday October 31, 2011 and will reopen in mid November 2011.
- Book return services will be available from Monday October 31, 2011 to Friday November 4, 2011 at 5 p.m. and will restart Monday November 7, at 9 a.m. Note there will be no book return Friday evening to Monday morning
- Barbara Frum Recreation Centre (lower level) will continue its operation during renovation but will close Friday November 4, 2011 at 5 p.m. and will reopen Monday November 7.
- Holds bound to Barbara Frum will automatically be rerouted to the Locke Library (Yonge & Lawrence). Please be aware that you have ability to manage your holds online. If you prefer another pickup location, or you would like to suspend your hold for the period in which the library is closed, please do so beforehand (the sooner, the better). For instructions on managing your holds please read these frequently asked questions
- To avoid disappointment, explore nearby libraries for full library services.